A geography teacher, head of year and head of department, Andy went on to become a headteacher in east London for thirteen years. In the last year of headship, his school was judged outstanding in all categories and Andy was designated a National Leader of Education.
In 2009 he become a Director at the National College for School Leadership, leading on the London Challenge programme. He was subsequently responsible for setting up the government’s flagship Teaching Schools programme before being appointed as Managing Director at United Learning, one of the country’s largest academy groups.
In 2014 Andy founded Leadership Matters, an organisation that aims to improve the educational outcomes for pupils by working alongside educational leaders at all levels through executive coaching, team development programmes, training and online tools.
Andy was invited to become a Fellow of the RSA in 2015. He has also been a Board member for various organisations including the Teacher Training Agency, the National College for School Leadership and Partnerships for Schools. He is currently a Trustee for the Teacher Development Trust, Board member at the Teaching Awards and is the Dean of the Leadership Faculty at Teaching Leaders.
He has written five books:
* Making School Work – 2007
* What Makes a Great School? – 2009 (now in its third edition and eighth reprint)
* What Makes a Great Middle Leader? A Handbook for Middle Leaders – 2014
* What Makes a Great Middle Leadership Team? A Handbook for Senior Leaders – 2015
* Leadership Matters: how leaders at all levels create great schools – 2016