Frequently Asked Questions about teacher training ...

How do I apply?


 All applications for teacher training have to be made via the UCAS  website  

Please click the link for our courses 

What are the GCSE entry requirements ?


  Minimum GCSE entry requirements are grade C or above in Maths and English. For Primary you also need a Science. 

(From 2017 grade 4 or above)

Do I need a degree?


 Yes -  you need have or be studying for a honors degree.  

For primary the classification needs to be a 2:1  in any subject. 

For Secondary as a general rule your degree needs to be 2:2 or above & approximately 50% of the subject that you want to teach. 

What qualification do I get at the end of a School Direct course?


  QTS & PGCE - are the qualifications awarded on completion of the course; qualified teacher status (QTS) and the Post Graduate Certification in Education (PGCE) with masters credits. 

This is the same qualification that you would be awarded if you completed the core PGCE University route.

Are bursaries available with School Direct ?


YES - You are entitled to exactly the same bursaries via the school direct route as you are with any other training route (subject to meeting the bursary/ scholarship criteria) 

Click here the most up to date information   


For Secondary, what if my degree isn't in the subject I want to teach?


 Subject Knowledge Enhancement Courses (SKEs) are available, please talk to us to see if you would meet the criteria - SKEs address any gaps that you have in your subject knowledge. These are courses that you complete that teach you the subject content that is needed to be successful when teaching (Subjects available; Maths, English, science subjects, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Geography & Computer Science).